WARNING

NOT EVERYTHING THAT

CALLS ITSELF ORTHODOX IS

TRULY ORTHODOX


The above warning was given to me when I first met Orthodoxy in 1986. Today [2009] it is even more perilous, even more difficult to find the Royal Path. For one thing there is a far greater abundance of misinformation. And many materials are missing, and other materials are being rapidly rewritten. For another thing there are fewer than ever guides remaining on the Royal Path, especially who speak English. Hopefully this website will be a place where Newcomers to the Faith can keep at least one foot on solid ground, while they are "exploring."


blog owner: Joanna Higginbotham

joannahigginbotham@runbox.com

jurisdiction: ROCA under Vladyka Agafangel

who did not submit to the RocorMP union in 2007

DISCLAIMER



January 29, 2021

St. John finds lost money

Testimony about Fr. Seraphim

Orthodox Word Magazine 1983
Letter to Editor 

    While living at the St. Herman of Alaska Monastery, in February, 1982, I accompanied Hieromonk Seraphim of thrice-blessed memory to Redding , Calif., where he gave a lecture at the St. Herman of Alaska Winter Pilgrimage and celegrated the Diving Liturgy the following day on the feast of the Meeting of the Lord at the Surety-of-Sinners Mission Parish.

    Shortly after Liturgy on the day of the Feast, Father Seraphim sent me together with several brothers to buy supplies and groceries for the monastery, entrusting me with $150.  Having brought a full shopping cart to the checkstand, I suddenly realized that I didn't have the money.  I was shocked, felt terrible that I had lost the money, and proceeded to blame and reproach everyone and everything else vocally and mentally.  We phoned the church and Father Seraphim told us to return.  When we had parked in the driveway, I started walking towards the church and met Father Seraphim alone halfway, and he said, "You have it right there," pointing to my chest.  "Archbishop John told me.  You didn't think of praying to him, did you?"  

    With self-assurance I felt my chest and with simultaneous joy and shame I found the money in a pocket which I thought I had certainly searched, and startled, I replied that, indeed, I hadn't prayed to Vladika John.  Father Seraphim them comforted me, explaining that after we had finished speaking on the phone, he had gone immediately to church on the left side of which there is a large portrait of Archibshop John together with his mitre and several other portraits and relics associated with his life and person and there he had asked Vladika John to help us find the money.  Archbishop John informed him that I had the money right in my pocket (under my very nose!).  

    Thus, through the intercession of God's righteous ones, a sure trial and temptation were transformed into a revelation of the mystery of holiness and grace.

Br. G.

source:  Orthodox Word magazine #111 July-Aug 1983

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Anonymous comments are unlikely to be posted. Comments can be made by email.
joannahigginbotham@runbox.com